Thursday, January 27, 2011

Responses That Make You Think

I love it when I read a blog and the comments make me think.  I read those blogs and wish I could express my feelings and opinions as eloquently as they do and could share my feelings as easily as they do.  Sadly, I do not but maybe with practice I will get better.

I was reading just such a blog today.  Blog.cjanerun.com has become one of my new favorites for her easy way of expressing herself and her ideas.  Today her blog was about her faith which is also mine.  There was a comment from a reader, Jen.  I found her questions about our religion thought provoking and decided that I would like to try to respond to them.  I don't have all of the answers but I do know what I believe and why I believe these things.  I hope this may help Jen and any other person trying to understand those of the LDS faith.

She started by talking about what seems to be a lot of rules for those of the LDS faith.  I can see how those "rules" seem oppressing and controlling.  Things like tithing, church meetings, not drinking coffee or alcohol, and not watching R-rated movies.  I can imagine that it appears that we cannot do anything and that if we do any of those things we think God doesn't love us.  I know that is not true.  Our Father in Heaven loves us despite the choices we make in our lives.  Sometimes, our choices may make Him sad, but He always loves us.

Tithing is a choice.  It is a commandment that we pay 10% of our income to the church, but if you don't, that is your choice.  I believe that it brings blessings into my life.  I have seen those blessings on a constant basis, so I pay it.  The church meetings are to help us grow and help us learn more of our Heavenly Father's plan for us.  I have a church leadership position that requires time away from my home, but I am not called out on someone else's whim (in fact my mom has been instrumental in teaching me to say no).  Coffee and alcohol I will admit I have never tried, nor do I have a desire to, but I do not feel deprived by not having those things in my life.  I feel that MY body is healthier without them and that is a personal choice.  No one is forcing me to stay away from those things.  As for R-rated movies, again, that depends on the person.  Most of my family is fine with watching them, while I and my husband choose not to.  We are all loved equally, independent of the choices we make.  We all live our religion the best we know how, and it is between us and our Father in Heaven.

I really appreciated the question, "Do you believe in the very premises of what the Mormon religion believes, or is there a control or pressure factor where those premises are never even questioned? Are you even allowed to question these beliefs? Can you talk to someone about doubts, or do they never surface?"  I think children in our church start out just going along with it because that is what their parents believe, but doesn't that happen all over the world?  I can honestly say that there is no control, or pressure to keep us from questioning our beliefs.  I believe all members of the LDS Church go through a period of time where they question what they have been taught and it is up to each to figure out what they really believe.  I know I have several times.  Recently, as an adult, I have seen a couple of my brothers go through various questions about what they believe.  They've talked to me, talked to my parents, and talked to their church leaders.  I don't know all of the conclusions they have come to, but no one has ever been upset at them for questioning.  The Bible teaches us to ask God and gives a promise that as we do we will know whether or not the things we believe are of Him.  I think doubts are always there; it's a part of being human, to question and want to know for sure.

As for polygamy, that's a difficult question.  From my perspective, there are always questions about that.  I've had in-depth conversations with others about the topic.  In all fairness, I don't want to be a polygamist.  I like being the only wife to my husband, as does my mom to her husband, and my sisters to theirs.  Polygamy was a commandment in the1800s.  It was a different time than today.  We believe in following the laws of the land so when it became illegal the Lord took that commandment from the earth.  Even if polygamy ever was a commandment again, from what I understand it was always a choice.  No one was ever forced to have more than one wife.  Polygamy has been practiced throughout the world since it began and only in Western Civilization has it been rejected.  So to really answer your question, yes we acknowledge that it was once a commandment but it is not now. 

I don't have the answers to everything.  I can just tell it as I see it.  My bishop doesn't knock on my door or make me do anything I don't want to do.  I did leave my home for a year and a half to teach the gospel in Brazil and I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.  I learned so much about myself and what I truly believed.  In the end my conviction comes from a feeling that I am doing what is best for my life.  I believe there is truth in every religion and how each person comes to find God is up to one's self.  I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is guided and directed by a prophet who communicates with our Father in Heaven and is under His direction.  I also know that the Book of Mormon is a real book of scripture written by prophets of old, as was the Bible.  They both teach us of Christ, who He was, and what He did for us.  I'm eternally grateful to a Savior who came to this earth and suffered in Gethsemane for each of us and then died on the cross so he could be resurrected so that we may all return to our Father in Heaven one day.  How grateful I am that He suffered for my sins, struggles, pains, and sorrows.  I know there is always one person I can count on, and it is Him.  That's what it all boils down to, my faith in a Savior that came to save us and getting back to Him and my Father in Heaven.  I lead my life the best I know how, and I do what I do because it feels right and it makes me happy.

Jen and anyone else who reads this, I hope it answers your questions at least from my perspective (I know I'm just one in millions of LDS church members).  Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.  I hope the answers are not offensive in any way.  Thank you for letting me share my beliefs.

2 comments:

  1. Was it a non-member that had all these questions?

    As far as doubt and questioning your faith--I think one of the most beautiful principles of the church is personal revelation. Where would Joseph Smith be without it? We are all entitled to find out for ourselves and encouraged to do it.

    The polygamy thing--well, we don't really have a lot of answers about it, but I look at it a couple of different ways. First, the church was constantly under attack. It's a wonder it didn't just die out. Maybe polygamy helped increase its membership a little. Also, you think about how many of the women became widows because of the brutality to Mormons. Can you imagine a woman crossing the plains alone? AND to take care of children? I think it was a great welfare system to make sure women were taken care of. And of course, to get the temple ordinances done!

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, yeah it was a non-member who had all the questions.

    ReplyDelete