Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Hand of the Lord

This week I have been thinking about the last year of events that have happened for George and I and realizing that Heavenly Father's hand has been in every event that has happened.  I was talking to my mission companion Heather and she helped me recognize even the ones that I hadn't been able to figure out yet.  I feel like I need to write them down so that I don't forget them.  Before I go into our story, I had a couple of experiences yesterday at Education Week that also proved that Heavenly Father has His hand in our lives.

On Tuesday a sister approached me asking for information about a participant which I could not give out.  She then proceeded to tell me that she had a package for a sister from her daughter who was serving a mission in her ward.  I had no idea how we were going to find this sister but I called the phone number and left her a message to come see us in the Garden Court. 

The next day I had a sister walk up to me who was visibly upset because she had lost her name badge and wondered if she should just go home.  I got up to help her look and she talked to me about things that had been going on and it appeared she was just having a bad day and Satan was trying to do everything he could to keep her from coming to Ed Week.  We walked back into the Garden Court and before she walked away, I asked her if she wanted me to take her name and number so I could call her if we got her badge.  We walked back to the table and were handed her namebadge that someone had turned in during the time we walked away from the table.  It was an amazing miracle.  Obviously, she was meant to be here.

As she walked away I noticed the namebadge of the lady my co-worker was helping and low and behold it was the sister missionary's mom.  Wow!  The number I had called on Tuesday was her home number so there was no way she would have gotten the message before she went home but there she was standing in front of me.  We got her the sister's phone number who had the package and got them in touch.  The Lord's hand really is in people's lives.

Now, for our lives.  Three months after George and I got married, we felt that we needed to start trying to get pregnant.  That was not thrilling for us since we had originally decided that we would wait a year before starting to try but okay, we'll follow and do as the Lord commands.  Well 5 months later we weren't pregnant and we were frustrated with why we would be told to try if nothing was going to happen.  That's when I saw the doctor for a rash and found out I have PCOS.  Well obviously the Lord knew what He was doing because not getting pregnant was one of the indicators of my PCOS.  So we started working on that problem.  Not curable but we are able to deal with the symptoms. 

By the end of January we were pregnant.  Yay!  At least we thought.  That's when we had the whole ectopic pregnancy experience.  I hadn't been able to recognize the Lord's hand in that one but Heather pointed out to me the other day that the Lord's hand was there because He showed us that we would be able to at least get pregnant. 

The second time we got pregnant was in May.  Woo hoo.  Not!  We lost it again.  This time my doctor said, what part of do not get pregnant don't people understand and that was it for us.  We switched doctors.  However, the way we found him was a miracle.  I started bleeding on Tuesday and called what I thought was Cindy's doctor's office.  It wasn't but I explained the situation and the nurse was very friendly and told me they had a doctor I could see and I could get in that morning.  I told her I would call back and called Cindy's doctor's office.  They weren't as kind and told me they would call me back later that day (they never did).  So I made an appointment with Dr. Cherrington.  He was great!  By the end of the week I had miscarried and he called me himself to make sure I was okay and to give me options for the next time we got pregnant.  The Lord's hand was definitely in that one.  He led us to a family practice doctor that will not only work hard to help us keep a baby but also has experience with depression and can help George.

I'm thankful for small miracles in every day life.  Sometimes, it takes time to recognize them but when you do man do they stand out! 

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this! What great insights. I have always thought that everything good or bad happens for a good reason and is meant to benefit us somehow. We usually don't know how it will benefit us so sometimes we have to have faith in the interim, no matter how difficult that interim is. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete