Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Oh the Delightfulness of it All

I was going to post a picture here but George is not so sure I should.  I may do it anyway.  Wanna see what my stomach looks like?  I'll post the picture tomorrow but I will warn you, it's kind of gross and not for the weak of stomach.

George kept telling me he didn't feel like it was the right time for us to try to have a baby again so we have been waiting.  I'll be honest, I've been a little frustrated with that until this month when all of the sudden I am sick all the time and I have random pains throughout my stomach, sides, and shoulder.  So...it's off to the doctor we go again.  (Can I be honest here, if I never have to see another doctor again, I will be extremely happy.)  The doctor decides that I need to go have an ultrasound of my gallbladder... done.  No gallstones.  Okay, well then we'll send you for a HIDA scan.  In goes the IV liquid with the radioactive tracer through my body to test how well my gall bladder is functioning.  It's working at 22%, not horrible (normal is 35-75%) but not great either.  So the doc decides to send me to a surgeon.

A week later, I'm sitting in the surgeon's office as he and his NP ask me questions about my symptoms.  They decide the symptoms I am feeling do not coincide with the gallbladder and decide to send me in for an endoscopy.  

             Per MedicineNet.com:
             Endoscopy: Endoscopy is a broad term used to described examining the inside of the body using a  lighted, flexible instrument called an endoscope. In general, an endoscope is introduced into the body through a natural opening like the mouth or anus. Although endoscopy can include examination of other organs, the most common endoscopic procedures evaluate the esophagus (swallowing tube), stomach, and portions of the intestine.

They were able to get me in rather quickly to the endoscopy.  I get put out and down goes the camera and low and behold appears the lovely image you may see tomorrow.  There was food still in my tummy.  Apparently all food should be out of your stomach within 2 hours if your stomach is functioning correctly.  Oh great.  What does that mean?  Possibly gastroparesis (a condition in which your stomach does not consistently contract and digest the food as it should), commonly found in patients with diabetes.  But I don't have diabetes.  I have PCOS... Connection?  Who knows.  Now I am being sent for another one of those radioactivity tests where they make me ingest some tracer and try to figure out if my stomach is doing what it is supposed to do.  Then an appointment with yet a 3rd doctor.  You keeping up?

To top it all off.  The symptoms the surgeon was looking for have suddenly appeared.  Possible gastroparesis and gall bladder problems?  Heck, who knows.  Apparently not me or any of the doctors.  I think the goal this year is to see how high we can run our medical bills. So at this point there are no firm conclusions.  If it is gastroparesis, it is easily taken care of through medication and no eating of fatty/fibrous foods (no more whole wheat, good excuse for white bread? I think so).  If it is the gallbladder, well then that means surgery.  And if it means both, well then between PCOS and those two I may never be allowed to eat again.  hahaha.  Cooked veggies, canned fruits, and fish and chicken, here I come!

It's been a blast and it is kind of funny cause really only I would have stuff like this happen.  I'm thankful to George for listening to that feeling that kept telling us not to try to have a baby yet cause can you imagine trying to figure all of this out and being pregnant on top of that or going through a miscarriage through all of that?  I surely can't.  I'm counting those blessings!

6 comments:

  1. Shan!!! You're falling apart! I hope it is something that can just be removed and you will live long without pain! Wouldn't that be great...I'm so sorry, let me know if there is anything I can do! I love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my dear! I am sorry for all of this craziness! So, I guess the whole grain diet won't cure you after all, contrary to what some have believed! Let me know how I can help! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is a bad month for everybody. Kevin goes to the ER with kidney stones... My brother Clint just had his appendix removed... My mom's kidney's have been really hurting... And you, of course! Sheesh, when it rains, it pours! I hope they will figure it all out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh shar, i'm praying for you!!! HANG IN THERE, YOU ARE AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where praying for you, hope those answers come soon. Sounds like you are doing what you can to listen to the Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all! I'm doing great. They will get this figured out. I'm not too worried.

    ReplyDelete