Wednesday, December 29, 2010

8 Lessons I've Learned From PCOS

It's been a little over a  year since George and I found out that I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and that we would have difficulties having children.  In the past year there have been multiple ups and downs but as this year comes to a close I realize that I have learned so many things because of what I have.

1. All the people who used to give me a hard time about my weight can just suck it.  You never know what someone is experiencing in their life and how hard it may be for them to be what you think is the ideal weight.  Sometimes, things are out of one's control and you don't know how hard they may be trying to gain control.

2. This is something I may have had for years and possibly comes genetically.  It took the right doctor at the right time to figure out what I had.  Too bad we didn't figure it out years ago but I know now and I will do my best to control it.

3. The Lord gives us all different trials.  My trial in my life is apparently PCOS but I realized this week that He did not give this to me to punish me.  He gave this trial to me so that I could show Him what I can do with it.  I have the opportunity to show Him that I will make the best of my situation, I will be positive, and I will learn to take care of my body in the best ways I know how.

4. The Lord will help us overcome our trials but we have to do our part in order for that to happen.  For me, that means learning all I can about what this is and learning to eat in a way that my body can efficiently process my foods.  It means I can't eat what everyone else around me can.  I have to do what is best for my body and not worry about everyone else.

5.  I am a daughter of my Heavenly Father and I am worth something!  No matter what anyone else thinks (including myself), I am worth something.  PCOS and my weight do not define me.  My heart and who I am inside does.

6.  The Lord is there to help carry us when we are in our darkest hours and when we don't think we can make it anymore.  He helps us to become strong and helps us carry those burdens that we have.  We have to rely on Him to help us when we need it.

7.  Even when I don't think I deserve it, Heavenly Father will answer my prayers and help me learn the lessons I need to learn.  He has taught me quite a few lessons through His spirit recently and I am so thankful for the ability to recognize that it is Him who is enlightening my mind.

and last but not least

8. Trust Him!  The Lord has a plan for us.  Our Father is a loving Father in Heaven who will not leave us alone.  He knows the path we should be following.  He will lead, guide, and direct us but we have to be willing to trust Him and step into the darkness.

I am so thankful for the things I have learned lately and for the eye opening experiences I have had.  I will continue to work hard and do what I can to fix what I can and then leave the rest in my Heavenly Father's hands.  He knows what He is doing and I'm thankful for that because I surely don't!

1 comment: