I have had one class at Education Week that I have made sure I have made it to every day. It has been an amazing class that I am extremely grateful for and has helped me put many things into perspective. Many prayers have been answered through this class. One thing I thought would be helpful would be to post the suggestions she had for those who would like to know how to help their loved ones who are struggling with infertility. This is what Stephanie Taylor had to say:
1. Recognize there is more to this couple than their reproductive status.
2. Listen, listen, and listen - if they want to talk.
3. Ask, "How are you doing? I've been thinking about you lately." (It's not invasive and gives an opening IF they want to talk.)
4. Help them find opportunities to use their nurturing abilities. (They may not want to be your babysitter but that doesn't mean they wouldn't love opportunities to play with your children.)
5. Appreciate your children if you have them. Don't complain about them.
6. Share, if you have a similar experience.
7. Don't tell them what you think they should do; it adds pressure.
8. Support their decisions.
9. If they have a pregnancy loss or treatment failure, help them validate the experience.
10. Be sensitive during commonly tender times such as Mother's Day, Father's Day, etc. etc.
She also gave us some support websites for couples dealing with infertility so if you or anyone you know needs some support they are www.2ofus4now.org and www.ldsinfertility.org.
The best thing for me yesterday was when she read this quote, "When women offer their bodies as vehicles for new life, they are consecrating themselves to God's purpose, and God honors this offering, whether or not it results in live birth." For Mormon Times, 14 May 2011.
I'm thankful for the times the Lord has given me to consecrate myself for his purposes. I may not have any children yet but George and I have been willing to submit to His will and we know that our offering has been honored and that the things of this life are just that, for this life. There is a bigger eternal picture out there. Infertility is not forever!
Completely agree! Love you!
ReplyDeleteLove you too!
ReplyDeleteAbosolutely love this post!! Thanks for posting it and for your great outlook, sounds like Education Week was yet again a wonderful week. Sad I missed it.
ReplyDelete